Roof leaks are common in homes whose roofs are older than 15 years or were poorly installed and left without regular maintenance. It is also commonplace in areas like Denver and Fort Collins, CO, where tornadoes and thunderstorms happen often.
You need to call a residential roofing professional immediately if you notice a leaky roof. It should be fixed to prevent further damage to your home. Additionally, regular roof inspections and maintenance can extend your roof’s lifespan and prevent damage due to normal wear and tear.
Let’s look at how to repair a roof leak and why you should have a professional roofer do it.
How to Spot Roof Leaks
If you suspect your roof is leaking, you want to have a roofer identify the source of the leak. Some signs you have a leaky roof include:
- Water stains on your ceiling or running down your walls
- Moist or damp paint and drywall around electrical outlets and light fixtures
- Noticeable musty smell in the attic and upper floors
- Interior paint peeling and bubbling
- Water stains on your rafters and roof sheathing inside your attic
You can also go outside and try to find leaks and other roof damage. Look for the following:
- Cracked, curled, or missing shingles
- Change of color or appearance in a particular spot
- Cracked or damaged flashing around the vents and the chimney
- Peeling paint and rotting areas under your roof eaves
- Moss or mold on exterior walls
Additionally, end caps (tent-shaped shingles covering angular roof peaks), compromised flashing, and points where shingles meet can also cause roof leaks.
How to Repair Roof Leak
Contact a roofing contractor immediately to have a leaky roof fixed. Never attempt to go onto your roof to inspect or fix it yourself. However, you can minimize interior damage as you wait for a professional repair by doing the following:
- Move furniture away from the area.
- Remove cherished and valuable items from the area.
- Soaking up standing water in your attic or floors.
- Poking a small hole in your ceiling to drain it if you see it bulging or dipping due to water.
- Placing buckets or containers beneath leaks to catch water.
- Work to dry the wet areas as quickly as possible; using towels and fans can help.
What If You Ignore Roof Leaks?
Never ignore a roof leak, even if it’s a relatively minor one, because it could result in rapidly extensive damage to your roofing system and home interior. Here is what happens when you ignore a leaky roof:
- More expensive repairs: Ignoring leaks does not make them go away. Instead, it will result in more costly repair bills after the water damage becomes severe.
- Mold infestation: Mold requires moisture and organic food (drywall, paper products, insulation, or paint) to flourish. Therefore, ignoring leaks allows mold to grow, leading to an unpleasant and costly mold remediation process. Furthermore, mold may cause allergic reactions and respiratory issues such as asthma.
- Decreased roof lifespan: A roof replacement is an expensive process you don’t want to experience too soon or very often. While all roofs undergo normal wear and tear and need replacing at some point, failing to repair and maintain your roof significantly reduces its lifespan.
Work with a Reputable, Local Roofer
Calling a reputable, local roofer is the most crucial step in getting your leaky roof fixed. A local roofing contractor knows the roofing requirements of the area where you live. They know the paperwork required, installation codes to follow, and anything specific to the locality to ensure your roofing installation, replacement, and repairs comply with the state requirements.
- Have experience providing different residential roofing services.
- Follow proper safety measures while working.
- Have insurance and state licensing.
- Provide warranties for their products and work.
Before hiring a local roofer, consider the following:
- Is their address local with a physical office?
- Is their phone number local?
- Do they have the necessary licensing, bonding, and insurance?
- How long have they been in business?
- Do they offer warranties and guarantee their work?
- Do they have certifications from top roofing materials manufacturers?
- What do other people say bout working with them?
Trust the Roofing Professionals at Red Diamond
Do you have a leaky roof? Are you stressing about water damage? Is where to get roofing repairs and maintenance from confusing? Don’t worry; you are not alone.
The team at Red Diamond Roofing provides high-quality roof repair and maintenance options to Denver and Fort Collins area residents, in addition to other roofing services. We know what it takes to prolong your roof’s lifespan. Contact us today.